"Do not grow weary in your mundane tasks. Mundane tasks are the hidden treasure to creating a home that is a haven." ~Courtney Joseph
The best homemaking book I read in 2013 was Courtney Joseph's book, Women Living Well. I finished it right before the new year, so it's still fresh in my mind.
Courtney is so great at inspiring women to make their homes peaceful and inviting havens. Here are some of my favorite ideas that she shared (slightly modified, with a few of my own thoughts added):
How to Change the Atmosphere of Your Home
- Light a candle. Courtney says, "Purchase an extra-large candle and light it every day in your home. I start mine in the morning, but you can start yours at dinnertime. Do what makes sense for your family. I often have a candle burning in my kitchen, the main hub of my home. Each time the candle catches my eye, I say a prayer for peace in my home." We have plenty of candles (people know how much I love them, so I often receive them as gifts, and I also make my own soy candles). I love having one burning in the kitchen, and Courtney has inspired me to be more purposeful to light my candle daily, and let it be a reminder to pray.
- Turn on some music. (I'm a big fan of David Nevue or similar peaceful music most of the time, but when we're doing chores or dishes, we turn on something a bit more upbeat and energizing).
- Set a timer and go through the house de-cluttering for twenty minutes straight. It's amazing how much we can accomplish in just twenty minutes.
- Bake some brownies. My family would love it if I did this more often! They're satisfied with homemade chocolate chip cookies or even healthy homemade chocolates, which I do make pretty regularly.
- Put fresh flowers in a vase (this reminds me that I need to plant more flowers for cutting this spring.)
- Smile at your family.
- Use gentle and encouraging words. Remember to speak life to those around you.
- Hug your children and husband!
- Share some read aloud time or play a board game together as a family.
I thought these were very encouraging tips from Courtney's book (and I highly recommend the rest of it, too!).
"Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."
~1 Corinthians 10:31