- undyed silk scarves (I got the 35″x 35″ size)
- Kool-Aid (1-3 packets per color–I used varying amounts for mine–on sale for 5 cents per pkg!)
- white, distilled vinegar
- large pot
- mixing bowls or other container to dye the scarves in
Dye Playsilks with Kool-Aid
Here’s how to dye playsilks with Kool-Aid.
1. Fill a large pot with water about halfway.
2. Add about 2 cups of vinegar.
3. Put the silks in the pot with the water and vinegar.
Let them soak for about 30 minutes.
4. Prepare the bowls or other container you’re planning to dye the scarves in.
- For pink, I used 3 packages of Pink Lemonade.
- For orange, I used 1 package of Orange and 1/2 package Lemonade.
- For green, 1 package Lemon-Lime with 1/2 package Lemonade.
- For blue, 2 packages Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade.
5. Heat water for the dye baths.
6. Add the vinegar.
7. Add silks to the dye bath.
8. Remove from dye bath.
Enjoy your beautiful new playsilks!
**This post was originally published in August 2012.