Instant Pot elderberry syrup is so easy to make! Learn how to make homemade elderberry syrup in the pressure cooker with this recipe.
Health Benefits of Elderberry
Elderberries have been used for many years to strengthen the immune system and naturally fight off colds and flu. As this article points out:
There are recipes for elderberry-based medications in the records dating as far back as Ancient Egypt. Historians, however, generally trace the tradition of the elderberry’s healing power back to Hippocrates, the ancient Greek known as the “father of medicine,” who described this plant as his “medicine chest” for the wide variety of ailments it seemed to cure.
There are so many possible health benefits of elderberries, including these noted by Dr. Axe:
Health benefits of the elder plant include naturally improving colds, the flu, sinus issues, nerve pain, inflammation, chronic fatigue, allergies, constipation and even cancer. When used within the first 48 hours of onset of symptoms, the extract has actually been found to reduce the duration of the flu with symptoms being relieved on an average of four days earlier. During the 1995 Panama flu epidemic, the government actually employed the use of the elderberry to fight the flu.
All of these are compelling reasons to keep elderberries and elderberry syrup on-hand in your natural medicine cabinet!
Related Post: Stocking Your Natural Medicine Cabinet
We have two elderberry bushes in our backyard, so I sometimes harvest our own, if I can get to them before the birds do!
More often than not, however, I just buy a bag of dried elderberries because it’s so much simpler.
Supplies Needed to Make Elderberry Syrup
The supplies and ingredients needed to make Instant Pot elderberry syrup are pretty simple. You’ll just need a few items, listed below.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may make a small commission at no cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup of these dried elderberries or these elderberries (or 1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1″ piece of ginger root
- 1 cup honey
- Instant Pot
How to Make Elderberry Syrup
If you’ve ever wondered how to make elderberry syrup, you’ll soon see how simple it is!
Don’t want to make it? You can find pre-made elderberry syrup here.
I’ve made it on both the stovetop and in the Instant Pot, and both ways are easy.
Here’s how to make it.
Add the first four ingredients to the Instant Pot (don’t add the honey).
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock it. Set the vent to sealing.
Press the manual button and set time for 15 minutes.
When cooking time is up, use a natural release.
Strain the elderberry juice with a fine mesh strainer. Press elderberries with the back of a spoon to remove more juice from the berries.
Allow to cool completely (or at least for 15-20 minutes).
Add the honey and mix well to combine.
Store in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. You can also freeze the elderberry syrup in ice cube trays for longer storage.
Instant Pot Elderberry Syrup
Instant Pot Elderberry Syrup
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried elderberries (or 1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries)
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 inch piece ginger root
- 1 cup raw honey
- Add the first four ingredients to the Instant Pot (don't add the honey).
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock it. Set the vent to sealing.
- Press the manual button and set time for 15 minutes.
- When cooking time is up, use a natural release.
- Strain the elderberry juice with a fine mesh strainer. Press elderberries with the back of a spoon to remove more juice from the berries.
- Allow to cool completely (or at least for 15-20 minutes).
- Add the honey and mix well to combine.
- Pour completed elderberry syrup in jars and label the jars. Store in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. You can also freeze in ice cube trays for longer storage.
Related Post: How to Make Fire Water
Turn Your Elderberry Syrup Into Gummies
With just a few simple steps, you can take your homemade elderberry syrup and turn it into gummies! Kids love eating elderberry gummies, and they’re so easy to make! Click here to learn how to make them!
How to Make Elderberry Syrup on the Stovetop
In case you don’t have an Instant Pot, here are the simple instructions for making it on the stovetop.
- Combine all the ingredients except for the honey in a pan on the stovetop and bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and let simmer on the stovetop for 30 minutes.
- Strain the elderberry juice with a fine mesh strainer.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Add the honey and stir well to combine.
- Pour into jars.
I hope you enjoyed learning how to make Instant Pot elderberry syrup!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Pin This Post for Later