At the beginning of July, we started Blueberries for Sal.
This has long been a favorite book at our house, but our original copy had completely worn out, and our youngest didn’t remember ever reading it before, so it was a new story to him.
We loved sharing this story together! He loved Little Sal, he loved Little Bear, and the whole book just made us both smile! 🙂
Honey Cinnamon Blueberry Freezer Jam
- 4 cups mashed blueberries
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, optional
- 1/2 – 1 cup honey (I think we used closer to 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 teaspoons Pomona’s pectin powder
- 4 – 12 teaspoons calcium water (comes in the pectin box)
- Make calcium water (follow instructions on the package insert) and store in refrigerator.
- Wash and rinse containers (I used wide-mouth glass jars).
- Put blueberries, lemon juice, cinnamon, and honey in a large bowl and stir well.
- Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil and put in blender (I used my Vitamix) or food processor. Add pectin powder to water and blend 1-2 minutes (about 20-30 seconds in the Vitamix!) until all the powder is dissolved.
- Add the hot pectin/water mixture to fruit. Stir until well mixed.
- Add 4 teaspoons of the calcium water and stir until it gels. If it doesn’t gel right away (mine did), continue adding 1 teaspoon calcium water and stirring well until it gels.
- Fill containers to within 1/2″ of top (since I used glass jars, I left about 1″ of headspace for expansion). Put on lids and store in refrigerator or freezer, for longer storage. When you remove a frozen one from the freezer, just keep it in the fridge until it thaws, and then it’s ready to use. It lasts at least a week in the fridge.
You can find more Before Five in a Row posts here: