This week our girls had a Christmas party to attend, and we were asked to bring a treat to share. It wasn’t even a question in my mind what we would make—Christmas Pretzel Hugs, of course!
I didn’t have much time to spend on holiday baking, and I needed something that would be a hit with kids. Everyone loves these!
Whenever I take them to a get-together someone always asks for the recipe. And the best thing is, they’re so incredibly simple!
This recipe was originally posted in 2015, but I’ve updated it with new photos and text.
Christmas Pretzel Hugs
Affiliate links included below.
Bake at 170° for 5-8 minutes (our oven takes about 8 minutes, but I start checking a little before that), until the hugs are starting to soften but not melted.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven, and quickly press an M&M candy into the center of each pretzel.
Allow them to cool on the pan for a few minutes, then stick the baking sheet in the freezer until the chocolate is set.
And that’s it!
This is yet another kid-friendly recipe that children love to help with! When all my children were little, I would have the youngest ones unwrap the hugs for me and put them on a plate. They can also count the number of hugs that will be used, and count out the necessary amount of pretzels.
Older kids can put the hugs on the pretzels and then help add the M&Ms at the right time.
- 1 bag waffle-shaped square pretzels
- 2 pkg Hershey's Hugs
- 1 bag red and green plain M&M's
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place pretzels on the lined baking sheet.
- Top each pretzel with an unwrapped Hug candy.
Bake at 170 degrees for 4-8 minutes, until chocolate is just softened but not melted. Our oven takes about 8 minutes but I start checking before that.
- Remove baking sheet from oven, and quickly press an M&M candy in the center of each pretzel, on top of the softened hug.
- Cool for a few minutes, then chill for about 10 minutes in the freezer, until set (just place the whole baking sheet in the freezer).
- Store in an air-tight container or zippered bag.