You can use all-purpose flour for these pumpkin waffles, but we used whole wheat pastry flour and they turned out great!
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or 2 cups all-purpose)
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 large eggs, separated
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
oil for brushing waffle iron
maple syrup for serving
- Heat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Heat a waffle iron.
- Combine the dry ingredients (first 6 ingredients) in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, milk, butter, and pumpkin in a medium-size bowl.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until combined.
- Beat the egg whites in a small bowl until stiff and fold them into the batter.
- Brush the waffle iron lightly with oil and spoon in the batter (about 1/4 – 1/2 cup per waffle), spreading quickly. Cook according to your waffle iron’s instructions.
- Transfer waffles to a rack in the oven to keep warm and crisp. (I put a baking rack on a cookie sheet for this.)
- Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve hot with maple syrup.