This healthy banana bread is sweetened with honey and made with read food ingredients. Bake a loaf of this easy homemade banana bread for breakfast or a snack!
I love making quick breads, partly because they’re quick! All that’s required to make this recipe is a mixing bowl, spoon, and a loaf pan (and a few other basic baking necessities).
There’s no need to drag out a food processor or other kitchen equipment. This is a back-to-the-basics banana bread recipe, made with basic equipment and basic ingredients. My favorite type of recipe!
Healthy Homemade Banana Bread Notes
- This recipe uses whole wheat flour. I have only tested it with regular hard white whole wheat flour.
- Honey is used for the sweetener, but you may also be able to substitute with coconut sugar or other natural sweeteners (with a different sweetener, especially a granulated one, the bread may be a bit drier).
- The loaf pan I use is a glass loaf pan, 5″ x 9″ (or 1.5 Qt.).
- Ripe bananas work best in this recipe, but any bananas will work.
- The recipe calls for coconut oil, but other oils may be used. Virgin coconut oil as well as expeller pressed coconut oil are my two favorite oil choices for baking.
Affiliate links included below, which means I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my disclosure here.
Supplies Needed for This Recipe
Here are some basic supplies you may need to make this healthy banana bread recipe:
- Glass measuring cup
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Wooden spoon or other spoon for mixing
- Medium and large mixing bowls
- 5″ x 9″ glass loaf pan (1.5 Qt.)
- Wire cooling rack
How to Make Healthy Banana Bread
This is another healthy, easy recipe using simple, natural ingredients.
First, preheat your oven to 275 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the bananas, eggs, honey, oil, and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix well.
Pour into a greased loaf pan.
Bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour and 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
After removing from the oven, cool in the loaf pan on a wire cooling rack for about 10 minutes.
Then, loosen the sides of the loaf from the pan (I use a small plastic spatula for this), and place the loaf on a wire rack to cool completely (about 2 hours) before slicing.
We love to slather this bread with butter and enjoy with a glass of milk. It’s so delicious! My kids can eat a whole loaf pretty quickly after it emerges from the oven.
More Naturally Sweetened Recipes:
- Chocolate No-Bake Cookies with Honey
- Easy Healthy Homemade Granola with Honey
- Easy Healthy Hot Cocoa Recipe
- Gluten Free Homemade Honey Popcorn Balls
- Strawberry Pie Sweetened with Honey
Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
Healthy Banana Bread Sweetened with Honey
- 2 cups ripe bananas (about 4-5 medium)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Grease a 5" x 9" loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash peeled bananas with a potato masher or the back of a fork. Then add eggs, honey, oil, and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add optional nuts if desired. (When I add nuts, I usually use walnuts.)
- Add dry ingredients to wet ones and mix well.
- Pour into the greased loaf pan. Bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour and 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (you may want to start checking at 1 hour and 15 minutes, as oven temperatures vary).
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Then loosen sides of loaf from pan, remove loaf from pan, and place on wire rack to cool completely before slicing. It may take an hour or two to cool completely. Enjoy!