This homemade pumpkin pie spice recipe is so easy to make!
With just a few simple ingredients, you can make your own blend of pumpkin spice mix.
And it’s perfect to add to all your favorite pumpkin recipes.
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
I love making my own pantry staples.
I love that by simply combining a few individual spices, you can make your own spice blends.
We often buy our spices in bulk from Azure Standard.
Bags of common spices are great to keep on hand when you want to put together your own homemade spice blends.
This is great for convenience, such as times when you can’t make it to the grocery store.
No time to go to the store? No problem, you can always make your own with spices you already have!
Also, I love knowing that my spices are fresher (always try to use them before the expiration date for better results).
Whenever the fall season rolls around, we always use so much pumpkin spice.
Pumpkin season is the time of year when we make all the pumpkin desserts.
A few times I’ve pulled out all my fall baking ingredients and then realized I was out of pumpkin pie spice.
Thankfully, I learned that it’s easy to make your own pumpkin pie spice substitute.
What is Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Pumpkin pie spice is a blend of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and sometimes allspice.
This homemade pumpkin pie spice blend is a perfect substitute for the store-bought version.
If you love making your own spices and blends, you’ll love this homemade pumpkin spice blend!
Affiliate links included below, which means I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my disclosure here.
Supplies Needed for This Recipe
- 4 ounce Mason canning jars
- Small bowl
- Fine mesh sieve (optional)
- Label maker (this is optional, but fun to use!)
You can find the full recipe and instructions in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
These are the ingredients you’ll need to make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice mix:
How to Make Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
Making your own DIY pumpkin spice recipe blend is super simple with these easy steps:
1. Add all spices to a small bowl and thoroughly combine.
2. If spices are clumped at all, pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve. Use the back of a spoon to push the mixture through the sieve and remove clumps.
3. Add the spice mix to a 4 oz. jar, put on the lid, add a label, and it’s ready to use.
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Notes
- Use this homemade pumpkin pie spice in all of your recipes calling for store-bought pumpkin pie spice. Add it to quick breads, your pumpkin pie recipe, or even a cup of coffee!
- You can use an old spice jar to store this mix (an airtight container is best), or use a more decorative jar to make it cuter. This is a good use for small jars found at the thrift shop or kitchen store.
- A small jar of this simple spice mix would be adorable in a fall gift basket!
What Can I Use If I Don’t Have Pumpkin Pie Spice?
If you’re in a hurry and just need enough pumpkin pie spice for your recipe, and you don’t want to mix up a large batch, try this.
To make 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice substitute, mix together:
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves or allspice
You can rearrange some of these different spices depending on what you have, and as long as the cinnamon is there it should be good!
More Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- No-Churn Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Waffles
- Homemade Pumpkin Spice Lattes
- Pumpkin Pie Granola
- How to Cook a Pumpkin in the Oven
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 4 oz. glass jar
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground allspice
- Mix all spices together in a small bowl to thoroughly combine.
- If spices are clumped at all, pour the mixture into a fine mesh sieve. Use the back of a spoon to push the mixture through the sieve to remove any clumps.
- Put the lid on the jar, add a label, and it's ready to use.