This healthy caramel popcorn recipe doesn’t use corn syrup but still tastes amazing! Instead of the usual corn syrup or brown sugar, this healthy caramel popcorn gets its sweetness from honey.
The sweet taste of honey mixed with the richness of butter creates a homemade caramel sauce that’s simple and yet so good.
This deliciously sweet popcorn is a great choice for special occasions, family movie nights, or just a healthy treat.
And it uses just three ingredients!
Homemade Healthy Caramel Popcorn Recipe
Although our family tries to limit sugar consumption to a reasonable amount, sometimes we just crave a special treat.
I’ve spent years making substitutions to some of our family favorite recipes and coming up with healthier alternatives.
This healthy caramel popcorn recipe is another one of our favorite healthy snack recipes.
I’ve been making this recipe for my family for over 20 years! I started making it when my kids were all young, and it’s still a favorite fun treat to make.
Although it doesn’t taste exactly like traditional caramel corn, we still find it addictive!
For a similar popcorn sweet fall treat, try these homemade honey popcorn balls.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
One of my family’s favorite snacks is caramel popcorn, especially during the fall holiday season.
My husband has fond memories from childhood of enjoying a box of Cracker Jacks, and every time fall rolls around, I think about popcorn balls.
But so many recipes use corn syrup as the sweetener (an ingredient I try to avoid whenever possible).
Because of this, I had to come up with my own healthy caramel corn recipe.
This great recipe uses honey instead of corn syrup or brown sugar. I always try to use all-natural sweeteners like raw honey whenever possible.
Although natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup aren’t low carb and still contain natural sugar, they have different types of sugars than those found in regular refined sugar.
They also have some nutrients such as minerals and enzymes that are missing from refined sugars.
You could also use all-organic ingredients if you really want to make this recipe as healthy as possible.
The delicious caramel-like flavor combines so well to make a wonderfully crunchy snack.
If you’re a fan of caramel corn, I hope you love this healthier version. Maybe it will even become one of your favorite healthy fall recipes.
It’s the perfect treat for this time of year!
Affiliate links included below, which means I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my disclosure here.
Healthy Caramel Popcorn Recipe Supplies
In order to make this recipe, some basic kitchen supplies are needed. This is what I use when making this easy homemade caramel popcorn.
- Large Bowl
- 9 x 13 Glass Baking Dish
- Air Popcorn Popper or
- Stovetop Popcorn Popper
- Popcorn (We get bulk organic popcorn from Azure Standard)
How to Make This Healthy Caramel Popcorn Recipe
(Full printable recipe instructions are found down below.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish (you could also use a cookie sheet) with butter or coconut oil.
3. Pop the popcorn using an air popper into a large mixing bowl, or use a stovetop popcorn popper.
4. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and the honey over low to medium heat.
5. Drizzle the honey-butter caramel mixture over the popped corn in the mixing bowl, and stir until the popped corn is thoroughly coated.
6. Spread the caramel-coated popcorn in the prepared 9 x 13 pan.
7. Bake in the 350-degree oven and stir frequently until lightly browned and crispy. You want it to be brown and somewhat crispy, but not burned.
8. When the popcorn is light brown and crispy, remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
9. Store the finished caramel popcorn in an airtight container.
I hope you enjoy making this easy caramel popcorn recipe!
More Honey-Sweetened Recipes:
- Homemade Honey Popcorn Balls
- Healthy Pumpkin Oat Muffins with Honey
- Healthy Banana Bread Sweetened with Honey
- Chocolate No-Bake Cookies with Honey
- Rustic Strawberry Pie Sweetened with Honey
- Healthy Gingerbread Cookies with Honey
- Healthy Zucchini Bread with Honey
- Easy Healthy Homemade Granola with Honey
Healthy Caramel Popcorn Recipe
Healthy Caramel Corn
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Pop the popcorn kernels using an air popper or stovetop method.
- Put the popped corn into a large mixing bowl (mine is 8 quart size).
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and the honey on low to medium heat.
- Drizzle the hot honey-butter mixture over the popped corn, and stir until the popcorn is coated.
- Spread the caramel-coated popcorn in the prepared 9 x 13 dish.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until lightly brown and crispy (but not burned), stirring frequently during the cooking time.
- When the caramel corn is brown and crispy, remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.