Do you wish you had an organized closet? Are you tired of standing in front of a closet full of clothes and still being unable to find anything to wear?
I have a dream. It’s a dream I’ve had for years.
In that dream, I have a minimalist closet containing 5-6 cute dresses (that actually look good on me).
Every morning, I get up and reach into the closet, and take out a dress (a whole outfit!) and put it on.
Wouldn’t that be lovely? I thought this might be the year that my dream would be realized, but unfortunately, it’s not. 🙂
So, I’m making do with the clothes that are already in my closet. I have a combination of skirts and shirts and pants.
Mom Makeover Wardrobe Challenge
Here’s what my closet looked like at the beginning of this week (shared in the Week 4 Mom Makeover post):
Pretty bad, right? It was a total mess, full of extra hangers, clothes I wasn’t currently wearing, and items that didn’t belong there (like the royal blue graduation gown on the left).
And here’s what my closet looks like now, after going through it:
Much better! I removed all the extra hangers, removed the items that didn’t belong, and I removed lots of things I never wear.
Now my closet is so much better organized!
I even took the time to create outfits with what I have, and that’s making getting dressed in the morning so much easier.
Related: The Secret to Successful Mornings
Here are some of my outfits. I’ve got them hanging together in the closet so they’re easy to grab the night before.
I now have a system to my closet. On the right-hand side are my everyday/casual outfits.
In the middle, I have my tunic-length tops that I wear with jeans. And on the left I have outfits for church and at the far left are a couple of special-occasion dresses.
My Favorite Sources for Tops
Someone asked on Instagram where I find cute tops, so I thought I would share here as well. Here are my favorite places to find them:
- Maurices (I wait for sales)
- Cato (again, I wait for sales)
- DownEast (always wait for a sale, love their layering tees)
- Thrift Stores and ThredUp (get $10 store credit when you sign up here!)
I do most of my shopping online, but when I go to stores, I go straight to the clearance rack. And I always look for classic things that I know won’t go out of style in a year (because I usually keep my clothes much longer than that).
While I was going through my closet, I also went through my jewelry. I didn’t have a lot, mostly just necklaces. Most of them are from several years ago. And I’m not exactly sure why I kept that weird shell one on the right (which was sent to me by mistake a few years ago!).
How Did You Do?
Did you get a chance to work on your closet this week? If so, how did it go? Do you now have an organized closet?
Other Posts in The Mom Makeover Challenge series:
- The Mom Makeover Challenge Week 1: Renew Your Mind
- Week 1 Progress Report: 5 Bible Verses for Hard Times
- The Mom Makeover Challenge Week 2: Make Sleep a Priority
- Week 2 Progress Report: How to Get to Bed on Time
- The Mom Makeover Challenge Week 3: Prioritize Exercise
- The Mom Makeover Challenge Week 4: Overhaul Your Wardrobe
- Week 4 Progress Report: Nothing to Wear? Shop Your Closet!
- The Mom Makeover Challenge Week 5: Update Your Look
- Week 5 Progress Report: What’s in My Makeup Bag
- The Mom Makeover Challenge Week 6: Cultivate Delight
- Week 6 Update: Making Time for Mother Culture